26.3.15

Quick and Easy Sick Day Soup


Life has been rather hectic lately. As I stepped off the train from London I received a call from my employer asking if I could work overtime as the children that I nanny for had come down with flu. Needless to say that with my immune system a little weakened from all the sugar consumed whilst in London it was inevitable that I would be struck down with the same bug. However, unlike the children, I live alone and have no one around to make me food and bring me fluids in my hours of need. I therefore keep this little recipe up my sleeve as it is super simple and quick using ingredients that can usually be found in the bottom of the fridge whilst also being warm, comforting and nourishing.

To make you will need:
2 parsnips thinly sliced
4 - 5 leeks thickly sliced
Handful spinach
1 red chilli - seeds removed and finely chopped
Large chunk of ginger - skin removed and finely chopped
1 vegetable stock cube
Fat or oil (I am using ghee)


1. Heat your fat/oil in a large saucepan and lightly fry/sweat your leeks and chilli.


2. Once the leeks are softened add in your thinly sliced parsnip and ginger and continue to stir/sweat.


3. Now pop in your stock cube and cover the contents of your saucepan with boiling water. Give it a stir to help dissolve the stock cube and then put the lid on the saucepan and allow to simmer for around 5 minutes.


4. Your parsnips should now be soft (if not then leave for another couple of minutes) and so it is time to add in your spinach. Stir in the spinach and immediately remove from the heat as the heat from the water will be more than sufficient to wilt down the spinach.


5. If you feel you need a little more sustenance then you could also add in some pre soaked quinoa or lentils at the same time as you add your parsnips.


Now serve and enjoy.
A truly soothing and comforting bowl of goodness that will help drive away ailments and takes all of 15 minutes to both prepare and cook.
Summer flu be gone!

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© COMMENT. All rights reserved.
MODERN BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig